This is such a simple quilt that lots of times it is used as the first quilt you make. But in the tutorial that is at the link below, it explains a little bit more for you about the value of the colors. You aren't matching the colors you are thinking in terms of light, medium, and dark shades. Plus it is hard to notice the differences when you are so close to it, you need to step away to get the full impression of what it will look like finished. Anyway, the link does provide great instructions and asks some questions that maybe you just hadn't thought of yet. It is a great way to use up your "important" scraps that you just can't throw away, this way you have created your own piece of art. Have fun with it and don't think too hard.
http://metrosupialdesigns.wordpress.com/2009/03/20/value-quilts-tutorial/
Disappearing 4 patch Top
14 years ago















Thanks for this Molly. I have a ton of scraps I want to get used one of these days and I never have really understood values. I just have a fairly good eye for colour without knowing what I'm doing.
ReplyDeleteThat's a nice tutorial. I seem to have a lot of mediums and darks in my stash, but not too many lights. Thanks
ReplyDelete