COME JOIN THE GANG

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Tote Bag Makeover

I have had a couple of questions about the tote bag that is in my slide show over on the left side here.  I took a simple $1 bag from Wally World that has their logo on the side of it and I added a quilt block that I turned into a pocket.  So really here is what I did.

1.  Measure the logo on your bag that you want to cover up.  Then make a quilt block that size. I made a 6" quilt block.  Then I got a scrap piece of fabric the same size of the quilt block.
2.  Now placing the fabric and the quilt square right sides together,  I sewed around them leaving a 2" opening on one of the sides.  Now turn them right side out using the 2" opening.  Use a chopstick or another item to help push out the corners so it looks nice and square.
3.  Sorry, now you have to iron.  Using your iron press the square nicely and fold in the opening edges so they will be enclosed in the sewing.
4.  Now get your bag and place your square over the logo,  make sure you have the 2" opening part positioned at the "bottom" of the pocket.  Pin it in place so it doesn't move around while you sew it.
5.  All you do now is sew around the three sides leaving the top open to form the pocket.  Now you're done.

Naturally, you can make these any way you choose.  You can just use a pretty fabric for the pocket, or change it where you sew a long strip across the whole bottom section to then form 3 pockets.  Once you get started you will come up with a million different ideas.

1 comment:

Thanks for visiting, please leave me a comment so I can come see your pretties.