A long time ago there was a funeral for one of our military servicemen that was killed in the line of duty. The minister of a local Church in that community decided to protest the funeral because he believed we were a nation of evil. Now as you know, at a funeral it is a very touching and emotional struggle just to make it through without breaking down from the stress. But then you add these people that are yelling obscenities at the family of the slained soldier that gave his life for you, and pretty soon you can't even hear yourself think. They hold signs that say things like "I'm glad he was killed" and "you got what you deserve".
Because of this church's RIGHTS to protest, the families had no protection from these people. Hence, the Patriot Guard Riders was born. On motorcycles with American flags flying, the PGR rides up to funerals and escort the casket into the Church/cemetery and stand in a very prestigious Flag Line (side by side) to ensure that there is no harassment of the grieving family. Some of the men will stand on the street corner with our American Flags and not say a word but block the family from having to see these protesters. We are a peaceful group and all we are trying to do is permit the loved ones to have a civil ceremony and to pay their last respects.
Now what all this started about is there is a group HOTH--Helping On The Homefront, that falls under the Patriot Guard Riders Rules ( my hubby is the South Dakota Assistant HOTH Coordinator). His job is support of our troops in VA hospitals and anywhere else Vets that need help (former or current Vets). A project they are doing is a Santa visit this December to the VA with gifts. This money was raised by selling chances on a patriotic quilt. Now they are already planning help/visiting at Easter for the heroes of America staying at the VA in Sturgis SD. They have decided to try to get some lapghans made in time to sell chances on them to the public so they can purchase some items to give out to our Rehab Hospital Rapid City, S.D., and our VA Hospital in Sturgis.
So if anyone has anything, and I mean anything, potholders, doilies, anything. We would love to have any item that you could part with. I assure you, that every item that is sent will be photographed and put on my page here with the name of the person that sent it. If you would rather not be given credit, please say that in your email, we want to make everyone happy.
I suppose I have chatted on long enough, think about this before you obligate yourself to do something that you may not have time to do. Take care and may God smile on you today.
Molly =)
The top photo is from Christmas last year. That's my hubby dressed as Santa. The bottom picture is
the PGR escorting an old soldier to his final resting place at the Black Hills National Cemetery.














I can' BELIEVE that a minister would even entertain the idea of doing that at a funeral! That's horrible! People on both sides die in a war and even if we don't agree with their reason for fighting we do owe them, and their grieving families, respect and decentsy. God Bless Jay and his group.
ReplyDeleteObviously, the minister has never had to bury a child. So sad. I’d really have a hard time listening to him as a Man of God if her acted out as a mean person.
ReplyDeletewe lost a son at the age of 16, Joshua. Seven years ago on the 15th. Maybe that is why I have such a distaste for the minister. That soldier was someone’s son. Pick you place to protest…..not at a funeral.
I am beginning quilter, sewer if you will. It is fun, but hard also.
Come visit me.
cindy
Hi Molly, having lost a son myself (in a car accident) I don't understand how anyone could be so cruel to a grieving family... Unbelievable!! I think you are all wonderful people to do what you are doing.. Congratulations and well done! :))
ReplyDelete