
Anybody know what the Red Hat Society is ? I think it is just a hoot. We have quite an active group here in South Dakota. Even though I qualify by age, I don't belong because they are an active group and I wouldn't be able to keep up with them. But one day Jay and I were eating at this establishment that serves Buffet style, and a whole group (15 ?) of these ladies came in also. Now some of them had very fancy hats with feathers and all sorts of stuff. There was one lady that had on a very plain red hat, I made a comment to her that I liked her hat. So of course we got to talking and she asked me if I belonged to the group, and I explained my mobility problem. So right then she took off her hat and tried to give it to me, well of course I was taken aback by the gesture. She told me she wanted me to have it since I had admired it and this would make me one of their group. Of course I accepted then, put it on right then and there, and a big smile came to my face. We talked a couple of minutes more and then we each went our own way. I was really tickled because you just don't meet nice people like that every day. In a few minutes another lady came over and asked me if I had known the lady, I told her no, she smiled and said, "She is Kevin Costners mother." Well now you could have knocked me over with a feather, I was very surprised. It just goes to show you, you never know who might come up and start chatting with you, and if she has on a red hat her name might just be Shirley Costner 8>) Below is a photo of me wearing that special hat.














What a neat story! We were at the horse races over Labor Day and there was a contingent of Red Hats there for the casino. They were a hoot to watch and having so much fun.
ReplyDeleteMolly, I always knew you could charm the shirt off someone's back, but I didn't know you could charm the hat right off their head, too!
ReplyDeleteMy impression of the red hat society is that they are a funloving bunch who have embraced the wisdom and freedom that comes along in your 50's and beyond. Amen to that!
wow how nice of her to give you her hat, and then to find out who she was.. I bet ya will cherish the hat!! whenever I come near S.D. we will have to get together! or if ya feel like coming to Kansas, your welcome to hang with Marlene(kwiltmakr) and I.
ReplyDeleteMolly, what a great story and that was sweet of her to do. I see that group of ladies around our town quite often. Looks like they have a lot of fun, wish you could join. Maybe you can start your own little group that isn't as active as they are.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great woman to make such a kind gesture! If I had to guess what Kevin Costner's mother was like I'd say just like that. He just seems so sincere and down to earth. Great actor.
ReplyDeleteGreat story! One day, I hope to wear a red hat, too...
ReplyDelete