COME JOIN THE GANG

Friday, June 26, 2009

Double Stitch

Have any of y'all heard of a Double Stitch in sewing ? I hadn't until one of my friends was talking about it and I asked her what the heck that stitch was. Well, it seems that you sew the 1/4" seam by hand, then press the seam towards the darker fabric. You then sew through the seam allowance so that the stitches will show on the right side. Now when you turn it over, you will see the stitches on darker piece, and when you quilt it you will quilt only on the pieces that have no visible stitching. Did I loose you? Okay, let me try again. Sew your 1/4" seam by hand. Iron to the darker color. Stitch this seam down going through all fabric pieces, stitching will be visible on the front. Now quilt only on the pieces without any previous visible stitching. Did I do better ? This is from the primitive stitch group that I belong to, I tried it and let me tell you that seam is now very strong. I only sewed 2 small pieces of fabric together without batting or backing so I am curious to give it a try to see how the whole thing looks and works. This type of stitching is suppose to have gone way back in the old days. I'll admit I'm old but still never heard of it. Or maybe I have and just don't remember it?

5 comments:

  1. good morning! I usually see this technique done using thicker fabric (like denim). you can sew seams on the machine and then top stitch for strength or decoration. I have a denim quilt my SIL made 30 yrs ago done this way. She did not use batting. It was a very heavy utility quilt and the top seams kept the squares from shifting around after washing. If a person top stitches the seams on a traditional block (4-patch or 9-patch, etc....) as the blocks are constructed, then the top can be 'top' stitched to the back at the block seams. For me it is a lot of extra sewing unless you just really like the effect. cw

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a new one for me. I see how it would work though. I do have to agree with Cheryl.....that's a lot of sewing!!!! It would have to be for a hard use utility quilt that I would contemplate such a thing. Can you show us a picture of it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need a visual - I'm not really understanding...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't found my camera yet but have several examples I can show when I can. Years ago, a friend took me fabric shopping in Dallas and I bought yardage that was cotton shirt materials sew in this fashion, I use to use it to make quilted pants for our son. cw

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea for Cheryl, what would we do without you. The piece that I did just wouldn't show up in the photo. So please keep looking for that camera *LOL* Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, please leave me a comment so I can come see your pretties.